Photo: Spicy Chicken Marinade & Potato and Egg Fry over Lemon Rice
This is my lovely mom's recipe for Lemon Rice. She still makes it for road trips and pairs it with my spice mix for Spicy Chicken Marinade (easy baked chicken marinated in yogurt and spices that packs a tons of flavor). It's a dish that can be eaten lukewarm and still retains a lot of delicious flavor. This dish has a nutty crunchy texture due to the use of Urad Dhal (split black lentils that are skinned to expose their creamy white interior) in the rice. You probably could skip using Urad Dhal, however the crunchy texture and taste of Urad Dhal elevates this easy dish to a whole new level of deliciousness!! It's a great way to repurpose left over white rice. I like to eat this pairing with my Potato and Egg Fry spice mix (Egg Optional) because it adds to the overall heartiness of the dish. It's meat and potatoes Indian style !
Cooked White Rice: 2-3 cups (usually use basmati rice); Leftover rice works great.
Olive Oil: 3 Tablespoons
Mustard Seed: 1 tsp
Dried Red Chilly: 1 (Whole)
Turmeric: 1 tsp
Urad Dhal: 1 Tablespoon (split black lentils that are white in color, usually bought at your local Indian grocery store)
Lemon juice: 1/4 cup (preferably from fresh lemons)
Salt: ~ 1/4 tsp
Make a mixture of lemon juice and salt ahead of time and set aside. The salt makes the lemon juice slightly sweet.
Time: ~ 10 mins (if rice is already cooked)
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat for about 1 minute.
2. Saute mustard seeds and dried red chilly till mustard seeds start to sputter and red chilly turns a darker color.
3. Turn heat down to medium low, add Urad Dhal. Stir Urad dhal continually till it turns a light caramel brown (about 30 seconds -1 minute). Urad Dhal burns easily so make sure to watch your pot.
4. Add turmeric and mix well (~30 seconds) with contents of pot.
5. Add in cooked rice and mix well till all the white rice is coated with a yellow color from turmeric.
6. Turn off stove, add lemon juice and salt mixture and mix well. If more lemony taste is desired, squeeze extra lemon juice on rice to taste.