2-3 cups cooked white rice, (usually use basmati rice - leftover rice works great!)
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Mustard Seed
1 whole dried red chilli
1 tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp Urad Dhal (split black lentils that are white in color, usually bought at your local Indian grocery store)
¼ cup lemon juice (preferably from fresh lemons)
¼ tsp Salt
Make a mixture of lemon juice and salt ahead of time and set aside. The salt makes the lemon juice slightly sweet.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Saute mustard seeds and dried red chilli till seeds start to sputter and red chilli turns a darker color.
- Turn heat down to medium low, add Urad Dhal. Stir Urad dhal continually till it turns a light caramel brown (about 30 seconds -1 minute). Urad Dhal burns make sure to watch
- Add turmeric and mix well (~30 seconds) with contents of
- Add in cooked rice and mix well till all the white rice is coated with a yellow color from turmeric.
- Turn off add lemon juice and salt mixture and mix well. If more lemony taste is desired, squeeze extra lemon juice on rice to taste.