This is my lovely mom's recipe to easily make potato patties. I ❤️ it because it's SO delicious and you can make it easily with spices right in your cabinet. The nice thing about it is that you can eat it in so many different ways. Pair it with a spicy hot chutney for a traditional Indian appetizer, or make fusion Indian food by pairing it with apple sauce and sausages (for a German-Indian fusion twist), or eat as breakfast potatoes with scrambled eggs etc. etc. etc. 😊
3 medium potatoes (~ 4 cups), boiled, peeled and mashed
3 cloves garlic, finely diced/minced
½ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
¼ - ½ small thumb sized jalapeno, de-seeded for milder heat, finely diced, add more if you like it hotter
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp turmeric
½ cup breadcrumbs (optional)
4 Tbsp olive oil (divided)
2 Tbsp water
- Wash and boil potatoes with skin on in enough water to cover them for ~ 45 – 1 hour on medium high heat, till they are soft. Stick fork in them to see if they are soft and fall apart easily.
- Carefully pour potatoes and water into colander and let potatoes cool. After they cool, peel and mash potatoes.
- Add salt to mashed potatoes, mix well and set aside. Add bread crumbs (optional).
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a pot.
- Add finely diced onions, garlic, jalapeño and turmeric.
- Turn down heat to medium and sauté onions with spices ~3-5 mins stirring frequently till onions sides gently curl up. DO NOT fry onions or garlic till golden brown.
- Add mashed potatoes to sautéed spices and mix well. Turn off heat and set aside to cool. Check to see that potatoes have cooled enough to make potato patties without burning your hands.
- Make egg wash by mixing eggs, water, and a couple pinches of salt. Wisk lightly.
- Use non-stick pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat.
- Take a handful of cooled seasoned potatoes, make a ball and flatten them to make a round shape. Dip or use a brush to brush egg wash onto potato patties.
- Place potato patties on non-stick pan without crowding them. Add more oil if needed.
- Shallow fry potato patties for ~ 2-3 mins per side till sides are slightly charred.
- Serve with hot chutney/sauce, chilli sauce, ketchup or eat them with apples sauce and sausages for a German-Indian fusion food twist.