Here is the yummy recipe for Chicken Kebabs that I featured on my live streaming facebook event in May 2020 to kick off the summer season. They are medium spicy on the spicy heat index. You can certainly adjust it to make it super spicy! Enjoy!!
1 – 1 ½ lb boneless skinless chicken breast
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp garlic powder – 1 tsp
½ tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Salt, add more to taste
¼ tsp Cayenne
½ tsp Turmeric
¼ tsp black pepper
1 cup plain non-fat or low fat yogurt, Stonyfield yogurt preferred
2 Tbsp lemon juice
8 oz grape tomatoes
1 large purple onions, quartered into big chunks
Tip: For super spicy kebabs: use only ½ cup of yogurt vs. 1 cup; add in ½ thumb sized jalapeno diced into small pieces. Add this to the marinade.
- Cut chicken breast into 1 ½ “to 2” cubes and put in a bowl. Add lemon juice to bowl and set aside.
- Add all spices together in bowl, add 1 cup yogurt to bowl and mix together (for spicier kebabs, use only ½ cup of yogurt along with jalapeno (optional).
- (Optional step) Only do this if you are comfortable with tasting “raw” spices. Taste marinade to adjust salt and spicy heat. If it tastes too spicy, add more > ¼ - ½ cup yogurt. Caution: The taste will be “sharp” as spices haven’t been cooked. This “sharpness” will go away when you grill the chicken.
- Mix chicken with yogurt marinade. Set aside for at least 2 hour or overnight for best results.
- Thread the skewers with alternating chicken, grape tomato and onion pieces. If using bamboo skewers, soak them for at least 30 mins to keep them from burning on grill.
- Grill the chicken kebabs for ~ 10-11 mins, start off high to sear it, then maintain low to medium heat (350-400 degrees) turning once.
- Let sit for at least 5-10 mins before eating.