As much as I like creating new Indian recipes, I love using a tried and true spice mix and using it in a fresh new way. I got the idea for using Grandma’s Spicy Chicken Curry seasoning mix on ground chicken from my facebook friend CaptGeorgeFetzer and his beautiful wife Sarah. George is a former restauranteur and makes amazing fusion recipes with our seasonings. George @geoscookincorner used our Chicken Tikka Masala with ground meat in one of his recipes. This gave me the idea for using ground chicken with Grandma's Spicy Chicken Curry seasonings. I started experimenting and made this yummy creation. I love that you don’t need to marinate the meat overnight for the spices to sink into the meat. This dish is quite quick and easy with yummy homemade taste. I do recommend topping the chicken with something crunchy like green onions, peanuts or croutons to give this dish a bit of crunch.
It got a thumb up from our Taster in Residence (our son 😂). It actually got him to enjoy eating a lettuce wrap. He topped it off with peanuts to get that extra crunch.
If you are on social media, hop onto Facebook or Instagram for a video of this dish via this link. Be sure to check our Facebook friend Capt. George and his yummy creations on Facebook @geoscookincorner.
If you are not on social media, the recipe for this dish is listed below. You can also download the recipe via this link.
Spicy 🌶 Ground Chicken Recipe
Ground chicken: 2-3 lbs (using more meat makes the dish less spicy)
Olive oil: 3 Tablespoons
Onions: 1 cup, preferably purple
Jalapeño (optional): ½ thumb sized sized, diced, medium – spicy hot depending on amount of meat used.
Tomatoes: 1 ½ cups, diced
Grandma’s Spicy Chicken Curry Seasoning packet: Use BOTH packets at the same time!
Cilantro – ½ cup
Lemon juice (optional): 2 tsps, makes the sharp kick of spiciness much more smooth.
Chef’s Notes on customizing spicy heat:
- This dish IS on the SPICY side, as no yogurt is used in this recipe to temper down the spicy heat. (per recipe listed on the back label of the chicken curry seasoning kit).
- Feel free to OMIT the jalapeno
- Add a dollop of sour cream or yogurt to the dish after cooking if it’s too spicy hot.
- Brown chicken (optional to get rid of fat), drain and set aside.
- Wipe off pan and use it to cook the dish.
- Sauté onion in olive oil for 3-4 mins.
- Add Jalapeno and sauté for 3-4 mins.
- Add BOTH Step 1 and Step 2 seasoning packets from Grandma’s Spicy Chicken curry seasoning kit. Mix well & sauté spices for 1-2 mins so that spices stick to the onions.
- Add tomatoes and soften for 7-8 mins.
- Add browned chicken and cilantro.
- Add 1 cup water.
- Cover pan with lid and simmer for 20-25 mins till chicken is cooked.
- Add lemon juice.
- Serve with Naan, over salad, lettuce wraps or cauliflower rice for keto-friendly meal.
Suggested crunchy toppings:
Enjoy this delicious #glutenfree, #ketofriendly meal !