Crispy Fried Okra
Crispy Fried Okra
A few years ago, we went on vacation to London. We ate at a lovely restaurant called Dishoom. I tasted fried okra there after much coaxing since I just do not have a fondness for vegetables. One taste and I was popping those crispy fried okra like candy, savoring the delicious burst of flavor. Recently, my sister gave me an awesome birthday present - a cook book by Dishoom. I eagerly looked for the fried okra recipe and there it was to my delight. I’ve significantly altered the recipe to use ingredients readily available in my home. So I’m guessing it’s very different than the fried okra at Dishoom BUT it’s still SOOOO good. Try it.. you might be surprised by how addicting these crispy little treats are!
Okra: 1 lb (you can substitute okra with green beans or sliced green tomatoes)
Garlic powder: 1 tsp
Ginger powder: 1 tsp
Anar Gourmet Foods Curry powder: ½ tsp
Olive oil for frying- just enough to coat pan
Chickpea (gram) flour: 6 Tablespoon
Corn meal: 4 Tablespoon
Sea Salt: ½ tsp
Paprika: ½ tsp
Lemon: ½ fresh lemon
- Wash okra, pat dry and cut off the top of okra. Slice each okra in half. Place into a bowl.
- Mix garlic, ginger and curry powder together along with 8 tablespoons of water. Pour over okra and mix well to coat each okra.
- Mix chickpea and corn meal together; sprinkle them over okra and gently fold in to coat each okra well.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat.
- Fry okra in hot oil making sure okra is not bunched up and until they are crispy and golden (~ 5-7 mins).
- Use slotted spoon to scoop up okra from oil carefully and remove excess oil over paper towel.
- Sprinkle okra with sea salt, paprika and squeeze a few drops of fresh lemon over it.
Enjoy as a crispy delicious snack.