This is my lovely mom's recipe to easily make potato patties. I ❤️ it because it's SO delicious and you can make it easily with spices right in your cabinet. The nice thing about it is that you can eat it in so many different ways. Pair it with a spicy hot chutney for a traditional Indian appetizer, or make fusion Indian food by pairing it with apple sauce and sausages (for a German-Indian fusion twist), or eat as breakfast potatoes with scrambled eggs etc. etc. etc. 😊
Ingredients you need:
3 medium potatoes (~ 4 cups): boiled, peeled and mashed
Garlic: 3 cloves, finely diced/minced
Onion: 1/2 cup, yellow (preferred) finely chopped
Jalapeno: (optional) 1/4 - 1/2 small thumb sized, de-seeded for milder heat, finely
diced, add more if you like it hotter
Salt: 1 tsp (omit if required by salt free diet)
Turmeric: 1/4 tsp
Breadcrumbs: (optional) ~ 1/2 cup
Olive oil: 4 Tablespoons (divided) and ~ 1/2 - 1 tsp extra to oil your hands when
making potatoes patties.
Egg wash: 2 eggs, mix with 2 tablespoons water & couple of pinches of
salt, whisked lightly.
1. Wash and boil potatoes with skin on in enough water to cover them for ~ 45 - 1
hour on medium high heat, till they are soft. Stick fork in them to see if they are
soft and fall apart easily.
2. Carefully pour potatoes and water into colander and let potatoes cool. After
they cool, peel and mash potatoes.
3. Add salt to mashed potatoes, mix well and set aside. Add bread crumbs
3. Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a pot.
4. Add finely diced onions, garlic, jalapeño and turmeric.
5. Turn down heat to medium and sauté onions with spices ~3-5 mins stirring
frequently till onions sides gently curl up. DO NOT fry onions or garlic till golden
6. Add mashed potatoes to sautéed spices and mix well. Turn off heat and set
aside to cool. Check to see that potatoes have cooled enough to make potato
patties without burning your hands.
7. Make egg wash
8. Use non-stick pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat.
9. Take a handful of cooled seasoned potatoes, make a ball and flatten them to
make a round shape. Dip or use a brush to brush egg wash onto potato
10. Place potato patties on non-stick pan without crowding them. Add more oil if
11. Shallow fry potato patties for ~ 2-3 mins per side till sides are slightly charred.
12. Serve with hot chutney/sauce, chilli sauce, ketchup or eat them with apples sauce and sausages for a German-Indian fusion food twist.