Serving individually baked oven baked cornish hens are a great way to make Sunday dinner fun. These savory seasonings work well with both chicken and turkey. It's perfect for a juicy savory Thanksgiving turkey.
What I particularly like about this meal is that everyone enjoys their favorite parts of the chicken without the need to share. 😊 Here are some of my go-to spices that I use to make seasoning mixes. Here's a tried and true recipe that hits the mark with our foodie family.
Download this recipe HERE.
Cornish Game Hen Recipe
Ingredients: Increase amount of ingredients per size of chicken or turkey
4 small Cornish game hens
1-2 Tablespoons equal parts salt and pepper
½ teaspoon rosemary
½ teaspoon thyme
1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning ( optional)
2 Stalks Celery, cut into 2 inch sticks
~1 ½ cups of baby carrots, or cut carrots into 2 inch sticks
1 lemon, cut into quarters
1 -2 garlic cloves/Cornish game hen, peeled
1 big yellow onion, cut into quarters
~ 1 lbs of potatoes (optional)
½ cup chicken broth
~ 2 Tablespoons of butter, break into small pieces
- Prep ingredients: place cut celery, carrots, garlic, onion and lemon on a plate.
- Mix salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Mix rosemary, thyme and creole seasoning in a small bowl.
- Drain any liquid, rinse and pat Cornish hens dry with paper towel.
- Place celery, carrots, lemon, potatoes and pour in chicken broth into roasting pan.
- Place rack in roasting pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle chicken cavity with salt and pepper mixture, rub in, followed by sprinkle of rosemary, thyme and creole seasoning mix, rub in.
- Stuff cavity with ~2 slivers of onion,1-2 garlic cloves and 2 small pieces of butter slivers into cavity.
- Rub generous amounts of salt and pepper seasoning on chicken skin. If desired rub in rosemary, thyme and creole seasonings on top.
- Tuck in tail and tie legs together with string. Tuck in chicken wing tips.
- Place chicken breast side up and repeat with other Cornish hens.
- Cover with lid and bake in oven for ~1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Check internal temperature of chicken with thermometer to ensure it is cooked. It is cooked when internal temperature reads 180 degrees for whole chicken and juices run clear.
Enjoy with oven roasted vegetables.