This delicious easy to prepare vegan dish was created on a whim as our family had nothing prepared in advance for dinner. I literally grabbed what was in the pantry it. I was inspired by my mom's South Indian Lentils (Dhal) and used some of those spices to prepare this recipe. My "meat loving" family loved this dish and actually went back for second helpings. I'm hope you do the same also after you make it.
Print out the recipe HERE:
Chef’s note: This is a medium spiced dish. Add more or less red chillies and/or curry powder to adjust spicy heat.
Olive oil: ~2-3 Tablespoons
Cooked Northern beans: 2 cans drained ~(14-16oz / can)
Onions: 1 cup finely diced, preferably purple
Whole Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
Dried Red chili 🌶️ : 1 whole (optional-break apart to make dish spicier)
Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
Curry powder: 1/4 tsp, preferably Anar Gourmet Foods Hot South Indian curry powder)
Salt: 1/2 tsp (add more to taste if desired)
Garlic powder: 1/2 tsp
Chicken broth: 1/2 cup (add more if more sauce is desired)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat, add cumin and dried red chilly, sauté for 1-2 mins.
- Add onions, sauté 5-7 mins till golden brown.
- Add turmeric, curry powder, salt and garlic, mix well and sauté ~2 mins
- Drain and add cooked cans of Northern White Beans, mix well.
- Add chicken broth, simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Serve over rice or as a side dish.